Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Next Up...

Next up for a raw diet is our little watermelon on stilts, Lilly. That is her tum tum pudge hanging over our entertainment stand. Good thing Adam runs her around with the laser pointer nightly. 
Meanwhile, Cliff was on security duty, which means he was watching birds. I just enjoyed his curly, monkey-like tail. The second someone used a leaf blower outside he ran to his scare-dy spot in the bathroom. What a man! 

Onto the reason for the blog-the raw food. I woke up slightly later than usual at 5:30 a.m. and got an itch to blend and process. So, I made a pineapple upside-down cake smoothie for breakfast (which is quite a mind-trip because it turns out green but tastes like pineapple cake) and I made an Indian Cauliflower Mash and some salads. All the recipes are below. Unfortunately, for our poor neighbors, I was blending super early this morning, but no one banged on our walls (or so I think-the blender was loud), so I think I am in the clear. 

I think I am past the detox crap, so no more weird side effects to report. 

One little comment before I type up the recipes. Adam taped a show called Wild Pacific on HD Theater and it is a bit insane. I am watching it now and I just saw fruit flies do a mating dance. In case you are wondering they stick there tongues out and dance to impress the females. Sounds just like humans, right? Hah! The next segment is about this looney-toon caterpillar that is CARNIVOROUS. Yes, you read right. He has a vice-like hold and leaps up and attacks flies! It's pretty badass, I must admit. The show is actually pretty okay because it gives some appreciation for nature! Even though, I am glad there is not carnivorous caterpillars in NC. 

Recipe Time! 
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Smoothie (from the Green Smoothie Revolution Book)
  • 1/2 a pineapple
  • 1 mango
  • 2 bananas
  • small piece of ginger
  • some cinnamon and nutmeg
  • 1 cup swiss chard
  • 1 cup water
Blend and drink it down. Like I said, it is green, which is a bit odd. 

Indian Cauliflower Mash
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup of cashews
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp curry
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • cilantro or parsley to garnish
Process the cauliflower into small bits in a food processor. Remove and place in bowl. Add walnuts to food processor and process into bits. Add to bowl with cauliflower. Add salt, curry, and paprika and mix. Garnish with herbs. I haven't tried this yet, but Adam said it was A-OK. 

Italian Salad (how fitting!)
  • 1 bunch of arugula
  • 1 nectarine, cubed
  • 10 slices of a red onion
  • 5 kalamata olives
  • olive oil and lemon juice for drizzling
Add all to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. My guinea pig, Adam, said it was a good lunch today. I am planning on trying it when I am done typing. 

Easy Lunch
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/2 cup (or more) of sunflower sprouts
  • lemon juice and salt
Slice avocado and top with sprouts. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle some salt before eating. 

Oh Shit! I just looked up on the TV and the millepedes came on! This sucker is a food long and sickety-sick! Time for my nightly glass of wine... 



No comments:

Post a Comment