Sunday, February 6, 2011

The End of Day One

Now is the time that I normally get bored and turn to our pantry, so I thought it would be a perfect time to write up a post! It seems like it's working...


I survived the first day! 


The morning started with me wrestling with our stupid blender in an attempt to make a smoothie for breakfast. I did get everything blended, eventually. The cats were not thrilled with a new, loud, and terrifying noise so early in the morning (and neither was Adam). But, I did enjoy my dandelion green, endive, apple, pear, banana, and cranberry smoothie. Even while Adam was eating leftover pizza and ice cream for breakfast (right in front of my face!). 


After breakfast I continued to terrorize the house making some meals for the next few days. I think the blender, mini food processor, vegetable peeler and knives got more use this morning then they have in the past year. The poor oven and pyrex pans feel neglected, I'm sure. It was super easy to do dishes though! It is less frustrating to rinse a cutting board than scraping off burnt food crusties from baking sheets! 


The rest of the day was filled with my normal sunday routine. Laundry, homework, and exercising (a killer 60 minutes of cycling at SYNCStudio). I got back home around 5pm and it hit me that I made it a whole day eating ONLY raw food. Go me! 


One thing I know is that I want to publicize are the yummy recipes I enjoyed today so, here they are! 


Breakfast 
World's Safest Liver Cleanser Smoothie (from Green Smoothie Revolution by Victoria Boutenko) 

  • 4 cups dandelion greens
  • 1 head endive
  • 2 small apples
  • 1 banana
  • 2 pears
  • 1 cup cranberries
Chop and blend. Serves 2. Super easy and delish! 

Lunch
Butternut Squash Soup (from Raw The Uncook Book)
  • 3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 mango, cubed 
  • 2 tsp curry 
  • 4 cups OJ
  • 1/2 cup honey (or dates)
Blend all ingredients until creamy. Garnish with plantains, bananas, mangos, mint, or jalapenos. Serves 4. 
This recipe was acceptable, but I don't know if I will make it again. If I do, I am definitely garnishing with bananas instead of gross plantains. 

Dinner
Sun Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato Catsup (from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
Burgers: 
  • 2 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup red bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds, ground
  • 1/2 cup flaxseeds, ground
  • 1/2 cup water 
Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl, adding the water last. Mix well and form 4 patties. 

Catsup: 
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 3 tbsp pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Keeps in fridge for 4 days. 

The burgers were quite yummy, but the catsup was TO-DIE-FOR. I have already reserved a spot in the fridge for it so I have it on hand at all times. 

Snacks
Mystic Mango Synergy Kombucha
Raw Crunch Gogi Berry Bar 
Small Glass of Red Wine 


And now it is time for some reading and bed since I have to get up bright and early at 5am tomorrow! 



1 comment:

  1. you speak the truth on the catsup...so good.

    ReplyDelete