Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Monster of a Post

Well the reviews for Butternut Squash in good 'ol Chapel Hill are in...


A+! 


Dinner was fabulous!! It may have been because I was STARVING, but nonetheless the food was yummy. Adam and I shared a mix tapas plate for an appie (appetizer). It had guacamole, salsa, hummus, grapes, carrots, celery, cranberry jam and the grand finale was FLASH-FRIED GOAT CHEESE BALLS. Needless to say I kept asking Adam how the goat balls were during our meal. Yes, I'm mature. ;) For the main course I got a vegan club and cole slaw and my fave Pharmie-in-training got Thai Green Curry. The only regret I have is not reading up on the place enough to know they only have a $3.50 corking fee if you bring your own bottle of wine! Much to my dismay, I forgot all about ordering dessert (probably because I was salivating for the wine at the Pharmal). 


Alright onto the food! The fridge has been restocked for the week and there are many delicious items on the menu. Here is what I made today: 


Italian Rawzania (from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
4 servings
Noodles: 

  • 3 zucchini squash, peeled into thick "noodles"
Fillings:

  • 1/2 batch Sun-dried Tomato Marinara (see recipe below)
  • 1/2 cup shredded raw cheese (look for unpasteurized milk)
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1/4 cup yellow onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup oregano, fresh or dried leaves
  • 1/4 cup thyme, fresh or dried leaves
First, peel the zucchini into noodles. In a 8"x9" baking pan start by layering half of the squash on the bottom. Top with half of the cheese, half the tomato, half the onion, half the marinara, half the olives, half the sun-dried tomatoes, oregano and thyme. Layer the rest of the squash and layer the remaining cheese, tomato, onion, marinara, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano and thyme. Keeps for one day in the fridge. According to Ani, it tastes better the 2nd day once the flavors marinate together, but I wouldn't know since Adam inhaled most of it, and I had to fight for my little quarter. So, the obvious verdict is...this recipe is a winner. 

Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara 
  • 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp pitted dates
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
Combine all the ingredients except the sun-dried tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and blend until mixed well. Keeps for two days in the fridge, but it's so good, I doubt it will last that long. 

Spanish Scramble (Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
  • 1 cup tomato, diced
  • 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
  • 1 batch of the love-the-chicks pate
  • 1 cup spinach leaves or other soft greens
  • pinch of black pepper
Place cilantro, tomatoes, scallions, and pate into a bowl and mix. To serve, scoop the mixture on top of a bed of spinach leaves. Top with black pepper. 

Love-the-Chicks Pate (from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
  • 2 cups almonds, dry
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds, dry
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp tumeric
  • 1 cup water
Add all the ingredients except the water in a food processor and process into a powder. Add the water and process until mixed well.  

Last recipe-I know this was a monster of a post, but Sunday is my Cooking Day! 
Berry Blue Smoothie (from Green Smoothie Revolution)
  • 2-3 cups water
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
  • 1 ripe pear
  • 1/2 bunch kale 
Blend. This would have been better if I would have practiced PATIENCE (argh) and actually blended the kale completely. It wasn't that enjoyable since I had kale particles all up in my smoothie. 

Thanks for reading all the way to the end! Have a good sunday night! 





No comments:

Post a Comment