Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Feelin' Good, Feelin' Great, How Are You?

I hope I am not jumping the gun here, but I felt pretty damn awesome today. I made it through my workout this morning (Rock the Band with Miss LA) without too much trouble, which was a major score! I survived this stupid busy, on-the-go day without a nap! Double score! 


No weirdo detox side effects except one mount everest pimple on my chin. Pretty sweet. 


The climax of the day was definitely coming home to a package on the front porch from my parents (who are well aware of the raw food diet commitment I have made). It was for valentine's day. It was from a bomb-diggity candy store in Savannah called River Street Sweets. It was a 20 oz (that's over a pound people) of a candy assortment for chocoholics. Bear claws, peanut butter cups (super-sized), chocolate covered pretzels galore. WTF. I love you, mom and dad but SHIT, talk about temptation! 


Am I supposed to reward myself for eating raw for 3+ days with a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate treat? Should I just smell them? Should I have Adam hide them in the house so I can't possibly eat them without him knowing? 


I am thinking that I will hold off on eating one. ONLY because when I cheat it usually turns into a (major) problem. That and I don't feel I deserve being rewarded for eating fruits and vegetables for a few days. I may feel differently after a glass of wine or maybe after I kick this nutrient metabolism's tests rear end, but until then I will just drool over the damn candies. 


On a raw note, I did do some major "cooking" today, which, contrary to popular belief took less time then actually cooking normal food. I made a peach smoothie, zucchini hummus, tagliatinni with pesto sauce, and a kale slaw (all the recipes are below). 


Peach Smoothie (from Green Smoothie Revolution)

  • 3 peaches
  • 1/2 pint raspberries
  • 1 head of butter lettuce
  • 2 cups of water
Blend and enjoy! I enjoyed this smoothie, but it was odd having the taste of lettuce in your mouth early in the morning. 

Zucchini Hummus (from RAWvolution)
  • 2 zucchini, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup raw tahini
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cumin 
Blend all ingredients in a blender and eat with raw veggies. 

Tagliatinni with Pesto (from Raw Food)
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 tbsp pesto (see recipe below)
  • 5 cherry tomatoes
  • 5 kalamata olives
Peel the zucchini and carrot into thick pasta strips. Toss the pasta with pesto and add the tomatoes and olives. 

Pesto
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 sprig of basil
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • lemon juice to taste
Mix all in a mini food processor until well blended. Lasts for 1 week in the fridge. 

***Although as an italian, I feel slightly embarrassed to saw how fabulous this "pasta" was, but it was very easy to make and was OUT OF THIS WORLD. It was soooo yummy I even took a picture of it! 

Cabbage Kale Slaw in Simple Greek Dressing (from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
  • 1/2 head of kale, any kind
  • 1/4 head of red cabbage
Dressing:
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp thyme
Thinly slice kale and cabbage and place in bowl. Add the vinegar, oil, salt, and thyme to the bowl and mix well (or keep the salad and dressing separate and store for 5 days in the fridge). 








No comments:

Post a Comment