Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hey Stranger!

Since I haven't posted for the past 2 days, I feel like my little blog has become a stranger. Either way, I am back and in full force! I had a (small) slip-up with that stupid valentine's day candy on thursday night. Just to clarify, it was not used as a reward for eating raw for 4 days, it was used as a reward for finishing my metabolism test with my sanity. Or, maybe I didn't actually get through it thinking clearly and sane, since I came home and woofed down a big peanut butter cup. Hmm.. 


Thursday night I had some help in the kitchen (thanks Ashley!) and whipped up a yummy mushroom risotto! As always, the recipe is below. Friday was quite a whirlwind. Not only did I have an appointment with (one of) my favorite trainers, I got to play with the new TRX bands at the gym. Holy crappola, those things are AWESOME! They made me feel like the biggest badass in town! Perhaps I was too pumped from my appointment because I then doubled up on exercise classes in the evening. Cycling for 60 minutes and Cycling and Sculpting for 60 minutes at the one and only SYNCStudio! I am made it through though!!! Success! 


It's that time for the weird side effect report: a runny nose all day on friday (so runny that I used a whole box of kleenex!) and lots of sneezing. In case you are wondering, I still yell toxins! whenever it happens. 


Positive side effect report: I have not taken a nap due to fatigue since monday!! I was napping 1-2 hours daily (eek!) so this is beyond exciting! Secondly, I am spending a lot less time cooking in the kitchen. Now, all I have to do is cut stuff up instead of cutting food up and then having to cook it all! Between less napping and less cooking time, I am overwhelmed with free time, which is actually perfect since school has gone from acceptable to full out insane. 


Tonight, Adam and I are going to Butternut Squash in Chapel Hill on Franklin Street, so I will let you know how their food is! It is also the evening of the Pharmal, so I better start picking out my outfit now...


Mushroom Risotto with White Truffle-Infused Olive Oil
Risotto:

  • 1 3/4 pounds of acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
Marinated Mushrooms:

  • 2 cups mushrooms, any type, sliced
  • 3 Tbsp Nama Shoyu
Cream:

  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 1/2 cups almonds
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 cup olive oil
Toppings:

  • 1/4 cup white truffle-infused olive oil 
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • OR, if you are a student (or cheap) like me, skip the olive oil and just top with scallions. 
To make the risotto, but the cubed squash into the food processor and process into risotto size pieces. Put in a large mixing bowl. For the mushrooms, mix the sliced shrooms with nama shoyu in a bowl and marinate for 5 minutes. To make the cream, add all ingredients into the food processor and process into a creamy texture. Add the mushrooms and cream mixtures to the risotto and top with scallions. Keeps for 3 days in fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment