Saturday, February 26, 2011

Is it break yet?

Needless to say, school has been serious lately. I have successfully ran around this week like a chicken with my head cut off, but I did get everything done. Boo-yah! Now I am just 3 tests and one practicum proposal away from spring break. Instead of taking a trip for break, I will be getting my shop on at the mall. Spring clothes, shoes, and bags are out in full force and they are calling my name! I. Can. Not. Wait. But my credit card can. ;)


This week has been good, food-wise. More delicious dishes have come out of the kitchen (well, blender and food processor). Wait that was a lie, the tabouli looked good in the cookbook picture, but was down right bad. The marinated bok-choy, cucumber dill salad and cauliflower couscous was money in the bank though, so check out those recipes below. 


As for how I feel this week, I have been tired, cranky, and sluggish. I would like to attribute this to less sleep and more stress with school, but it has been concluded that this is probably due to less greens and more sweet treats. More raw fudge, more raw bars and more cheese (not really a sweet treat, but a staple lately for sure). So, the plan this week is to get as much green leafies and other yummy veggies in me as possible and see if my energy takes a turn for the best. 


One revelation this week, I need to make a hell of a lot more food. Adam has successfully eaten a LOT of my food (probably because it is soooo damn tasty), which means we run out of food QUICK. Surprisingly, he hasn't been complaining about the lack of meat too much, which is sweet, but I still try to have some frozen animals (chicken or flank steak) in the freezer and beans in the pantry for his cravings. Nonetheless, a bigger grocery cart at whole foods WILL happen this week. It does make me a bit warm and fuzzy inside that he has jumped on the raw food wagon. Keep in mind, I didn't force this, I have always said that I can cook crap for him. :) 


Since my grocery cart is usually overflowing every week, one would think our bill has gone up drastically, right? That is actually a BIG, FAT WRONG. Our bill has stayed the same, even despite the $30 I spend weekly on kombuchas, and the $30 I may have spent on cheese last week (shh-don't tell Adam). So, it seems like the approximately $200 that is spent weekly on groceries includes a lot more veggies and a lot less meat and yogurt. I know our grocery bill sounds high, but we rarely eat out so it includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, wine for the whole week (sometimes longer). Plus, I am kind of a food-snob and I try to get organic in anything with a thin skin, or local produce, which does cost more. 


What has my detailed analysis of this diet told me? 

  1. It costs the same to go "raw." 
  2. Most of the dishes have been scrumptious and have left me feeling satisfied but not near the point of food coma. 
  3. I feel lighter and more energetic, all raw food days considered. 
  4. I spend less time in the kitchen. 
In a nutshell, this "diet" is working well. :) 

Now, for the recipes. 
Tabouli (try only if you LOVE, LOVE, LOVE parsley)
Salad:
  • 6 bunches fresh parsley (and yes you will get weird looks at the grocery store)
  • 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup hemp seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled
To make the salad chop the parsley and put in a large mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients and toss together. For the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Pour over salad and mix well. Serve. 

Cucumber Dill Salad 
Note: I first tried this salad in the library when I was studying and I definitely said "damn, that's good" out loud and got a few looks from a neighboring study table. :) 
Salad:
  • 5 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 bunches chopped dill, stems removed
Dressing:
  • 1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp sea salt
  • 5 cloves of garlic peeled
Add all salad ingredients in a bowl and mix well. For dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor, process and pour over salad. Toss. 

Marinated Bok-Choy 
  • 5 heads baby bok choy (or if you are trying to save some cash like me, I used 2 heads of regular bok choy)
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Nama Shoyu
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
Starting at the bottom of the bok choy, cut the stalks into 1/2" pieces, leaving the leaves whole. In a blender combine the olive oil, nama shoyu, and garlic and blend well. Add to bok choy and mix. 
***I found some sliced portobello shrooms at the grocery and added those to the olive oil mixture to marinate. Then, I poured that over the bok choy when I was packing my lunch in the morning. Yummy. 

Cauliflower Cous-Cous
  • 2 heads of cauliflower, finely ground in a food processor
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 bunch each of: mint, cilantro and parsley, stems removed
  • One 13 oz jar of pitted greek olives (oops, I got not pitted olives, and Adam had now problem reminding me ;) )
Hmm, this one is NOT rocket science. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Adam has been dipping his pita chips in it for a snack, and considering he has probably eaten half of it by now, I would guess it turned out okay.  


So, as much as I absolutely love not studying, it is time to devote this saturday night to learning about glucose. Woo-whooooo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment