Saturday, March 5, 2011

Take a Chill Pill!

That, my friends, is what I am attempting to do. 


I am sure many of you are sick of me bitching and moaning about how life/school has been busy, and now you don't have to listen to (or read about) it anymore! This is for two reasons:

  1. It's SPRING BREAK! 
  2. I am taking a chill pill, going with the flow, and refusing to freak out when things don't go according to my to-do list. 

Just so you know what a lofty goal this is, here is an example of my slightly up-tight (let's call them special) tendencies. 

  • I plan my day by the hour. That's right, I have a written list of everything that happens EACH hour of the day. It makes me feel organized (and not neurotic at all :) ). 
  • Ashley came over to eat the other night and she was worried about putting her bowl in the dishwasher in the right place. 
Eeekk, just typing that makes me feel like a psycho. 

All this revelation has been spurred by the fact that it is almost the end of this 30-day Raw Food Challenge and I need something new to work on!! 

What?!?! What?!?! End of the challenge? Can you believe it? 

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it is over this Sunday (ish). Never fear, I will be continuing this food plan for a while. Why? Let's compare and contrast. 
Before: 
  • Fatigued, napping for 1-2 hours daily, and having 2-3 cups of coffee per day. This is all with 8-9 hours of sleep. 
  • Major cranky pants. 
After: 
  • Not, I repeat, NOT fatigued. NO naps. Maybe 1 cup of coffee per day. 
  • Happy camper. The crazy high-strung lady that was beyond flustered and slow in front of me in line at Starbucks didn't even cramp my style. I actually felt sorry for her because she seemed so panicky. 
Now, keep in mind this isn't some miracle diet. My body just responded favorably to it, and I like the food, so that is the real reason I am sticking with it. I will also be sticking with the blog, posting recipes and posting cat pictures. Even though every time Adam sees a picture of the cats on the blog, he reminds me that I am the "creepy cat lady," but I am okay with that. 

Ok, sorry for the raw food tangent, but raw food is the whole reason for the blog. As for staying calm, cool and collected, I am going to try that for 30 days now. Seriously. Eating (mostly) raw for 30 days has made me feel like I can do anything for 30 days. Imagine that! 

How will I do this? I am not sure, but the plan for now is to take a step back, breathe, and let go. Please pray that I don't spontaneously combust. I am all Italian and German you know, and we tend to be a wee-bit stubborn and impatient. Hopefully the prospect of spring (along with all the sunshine) will help keep me smily and chipper even when I am not either of those things. :) 

Now on to some mouth-watering raw food recipes. 
Yellow Squash Pasta with Olive Tapenade
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 2 carrots
  • Sun-dried tomatoes, to taste (and those puppies are good, so I add quite a bit!)
Tapenade:
  • 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup pine nuts
  • black olives, to taste
  • lemon juice, to taste
  • salt and dried herbs to taste
Using a veggie peeler, peel the skin of the squash and carrots and discard. Continue peeling the rest of the squash and carrots until you get to the seeds of the squash. Mix together the tapenade ingredients and add to the carrot and squash pasta. Top with sun-dried tomatoes. Easy, fast and GOOOOOOD!!!! 

Don't know what to do with the seedy core of the squash? Don't worry, make this recipe:
Yummy Pasta Leftovers
  • 2 squash or zucchini leftovers, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into small pieces
  • 1 pear, cut into small pieces
  • 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
  • 10 purple grapes, halved 
  • 1/2 cup white cabbage
  • 1 avocado, cubed
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, halved
Mix the zucchini, pepper, pear, celery and grapes together in a bowl. Add the cabbage strips and the avocado. Sprinkle with walnuts. I just ate this for lunch today and it stood up to its name, it was quite yummy! 

Since it's break I will be on a cooking spree this week, so be on the look out for more raw recipes!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment