Thursday, March 10, 2011

I can't think of a title for this one (so I will leave it like this)...

So, my spring break has been wonderful. I am currently experimenting with sprouting (the first batch is alfalfa) and soaking rice (for 3 days, yes, 3 whole days). The kitchen has turned into quite a sight, but it is fun to try some new techniques. So, my thursday night consisted of sprouting, soaking, and timing cliff to see how quick he can play fetch. Currently, the time to beat is 7 seconds (and I launched that damn toy all the way through the living room and down a flight of stairs). My spring break might not consist of excessive partying in Cancun, but I can say that I am getting A LOT of homework done, papers written, cooking, cleaning, and relaxing! Plus, my real spring break is two weeks away when Ultra Music Festival takes place in Miami. I just bought an outrageous dress for the event, and I am VERY, VERY proud to say I will be the gaudy Italian. :) I just need to find some equally fab-u-lous shoes and a bag, and then I will be good to go. 


Since I have a bunch of time on my hands, I have been making lots of food! I want to start posting pictures of each dish, but I always devour the food before I remember to take a picture of it! I promise (pinky swear) that I will try to remember to take pictures! :) 


My effort to calm down has been working. Taking a breath, stepping back, and thinking about how unimportant some things are has really helped. So, now when I am panic-y about everything I have to do or Adam's rotation next year, I think about what a great life we have and how thankful I am that we are both healthy and happy (most of the time).There was a slight tantrum the other night because I was starving, so I got a bit hangry, but thats besides the point....


This first recipe is delicious, BUT I definitely spilled the dressing all over the cookbook, so now it is crusty and smells like garlic and ginger good-ness. :) 
Creamy Cabbage Coleslaw (from RAWvolution)
Salad:

  • 1/2 cup peeled and shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup shredded radish
  • 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
  • 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
Dressing:
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp nama shoyu
  • 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1-2" piece of ginger, peeled
  • about 1 1/2 cups olive oil (and no, that is not a typo)
In a large bowl, combine all the salad ingredients and toss to mix. To make the dressing, combine all ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor. Process. Then, slowly add the olive oil and continue to process. Pour over the salad, toss, and serve. 

Easy, quick, and good. 
Fennel Salad (from Raw Food)
  • 1/2 fennel bulb, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 bunch of arugula 
  • seeds from 1/2 a pomegranate
  • 5 walnuts, coarsely chopped 
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to mix. This is only one serving, so you may need to double, triple, or in my case quadruple. :) 

Ok, I hate parsnips with a passion, so I was a bit leery of this recipe. However, this one is a definite keeper! This recipe is two servings...
Parsnip Couscous (from Raw Food)
  • 1 parsnip, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cucumber, cut into slices and then quartered
  • 2 pears, peeled and chopped
  • 2 large portions of crispy salad greens (pick your fav)
  • 1 avocado, cubed 
  • 3 tbsp walnuts, chopped, for garnish
Dressing:
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • pinch of salt 
Put the parsnip in a food processor and process until its grainy. In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients to make the dressing. Toss the other salad dressing ingredients together with the dressing and serve on a place. Place the parsnip couscous on top of the salad and garnish with walnuts. 

This one was money in the bank, and I am sure this recipe will be made over and over again. 
Walnut Cranberry Squash 'Rice' (from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
  • about 1 lb of butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2" cubes
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp cumin seeds (I used regular cumin, which worked fine)
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup walnuts, crushed
  • 2 tsp sea salt
Put small batches of the squash into a food processor and process into small pieces. Put the processed squash into a mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients. Toss well and serve. Keeps 2 days in the fridge. 

I have been making a conscious effort to make more smoothies, and so here are some ones I tried this week. The recipes are all from Green Smoothie Revolution. 
Apple Green Smoothie
  • 4 cups romaine lettuce (this was okay, but next time I am going to try using a lettuce with a bit more nutrient value than romaine)
  • 4 fuji apples
  • 1/2 cup dates, pitted
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 cups water
Favorite Green Smoothie
  • 3-6 leaves of any kind of kale
  • 1 banana
  • 1 apple
  • 1/2 inch ginger root
  • 2 cups water 
Turkish Grove
  • 2 cups of kale 
  • 1 pear
  • 3 figs
  • 2 cups water 
Have a great night everyone! 





2 comments:

  1. The smoothie recipes look great! I'm definitely inspired to incorporate more raw food into my diet so I don't get hangry...love that word, it happens wayyy too often being at the pharmacy school all day!

    - Amanda G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you don't starve! I am always amazed at how little adam eats at school (now at night at home is a different story). :)

    ReplyDelete